I went to the movie theater this past week and used my student ID from college. The man at the register looks down at my ID, looks back up at me and exclaims ” you’re still in college?”
Here’s the thing. I started college in 2007 and it’s now 2018. My ID says 2007.
So of course I had to think of a lie. I’m not always quick on my feet. So I say “Yeah, I’m in grad school.”
Him: “What are you gonna be?”
Me: “Hmmm… I don’t know. I mean I’m getting my MBA, I’m going to be an entrepreneur.”
There were so many things wrong about that particular situation but I won’t continue.
Bigger hips, slightly bigger booty, hair getting back to it’s original curl pattern , way more wisdom and much more growth to go.
It’s funny, because my boyfriend and I always make jokes about me approaching “baby cougarism”, as he calls it. And truthfully, It finally has hit me. The only issues I have with getting older is that it’s harder for me to drop it like its hot and get back up in a timely manner. I’m also not sure if it’s still appropriate to do hood rat things with my friends. And lastly I no longer am hip to the new slang. Do people still say fleek, or nah?
Okay, so I’m getting older but really… who gives a fuck?
One, because black don’t crack and two, it challenges me to put in the work to cultivate a better lifestyle from the inside out.
There are a few others things that I know for sure, and these are my learnings over the past month or so:
- Face yourself daily, even on the days you’re not feeling pretty, motivated, or where you want to be. Face yourself, still.
- You’ll know it’s love by the way it feels.
- Other people’s perception of you is neither your problem, your priority nor your project. Period.
- The less you show the more they want to know.
- 90% of my best ideas form in the shower.
- Abundance is a state of mind.
- Expansion is a diligent act.
- Ideas without execution is a fruitless endeavor.
- Going with the flow requires being in cooperation with the tide.
- The word waiting has no place in my vocabulary as it relates to progress.
- Nobody is responsible for your success except for you.
- Happiness is an inside job. It begins and ends with self love. Self love requires self care, you cannot have one without the other.
- Freedom requires the absence of attachment.
- Stay ready so you don’t have to get ready.
- Clear space. Clear mind.
- Take up SPACE.
- You belong in all spaces that you have the courage to occupy. If you don’t have the courage, you don’t belong.
- To-do list are gold. Revisiting them daily is platinum.
- Know your worth. Act your worth.
- Never complain about it more than you work for it.
- When you are who you say you are. You no longer have to say it.
- You want more? Do more.
- Spend time only on efforts that moves the needle.
- Don’t fuck with men who are bad for your pH balance.
- Don’t force shoes that don’t fit.
- First I am black and then I am woman. Fuck white feminism, and all of these trendy initiatives on “diversity and inclusion” in the workplace.
It’s March 13th 2018 and these are my truths.