Sign: Capricorn (22 December–20 January)
Pose: With a symbol like the mountain goat, you’re surefooted and steadfast. Because of this, alignment is key for you. Strengthen your signature knees with chair pose, mountain pose, and tree pose.
Famous Capricorn Yogi: Raghunath Cao
- Stand with arms at sides.
- Shift weight onto left leg and place sole of right foot inside left thigh, keeping hips facing forward.
- Once balanced, bring hands in front of you in prayer position, palms together.
- On an inhalation, extend arms over shoulders, palms separated and facing each another. Stay for 30 seconds.
- Lower and repeat on opposite side.
- Make it easier: Bring your right foot to the inside of your left ankle, keeping your toes on the floor for balance. As you get stronger and develop better balance, move your foot to the inside of your left calf.
- Stand tall with feet together, shoulders relaxed, weight evenly distributed through your soles, arms at sides.
- Take a deep breath and raise your hands overhead, palms facing each other with arms straight. Reach up toward the sky with your fingertips.
- Bring your feet about a hip’s width apart.
- Lengthen your spine, and on an inhale, raise your arms straight above your head.
- On an inhale, fold your body forward at your hips to a 45-degree angle, bringing your chest towards your thighs as you keep your arms in a straight line with your back. Your palms should be facing towards the floor.
Bend your knees slightly as though you were about to sit in a chair.
Press your weight into the floor as you lift your chest and extend through your fingertips. Look ahead and hold the position, taking several deep breaths.
- Lift your spine as you tuck your tailbone underneath you and draw your lower abdominal in.
- Sit down more deeply as you continue to focus on your breath.
Hold the pose for several breaths, then inhale and stand back in Mountain Pose.
Click here to find out what yoga poses suit your zodiac sign.